I had leftover buttermilk and I was thinking of what to do with it. Then as usual, I searched on the internet and found this interesting recipe that used buttermilk to marinate roasted chicken. Since I used buttermilk to cook crispy fried chicken previously, this time I wanted to roast the chicken which was also healthier since I didn’t have to deep fry the chicken.
I combined some recipes that I found and added some ingredients like shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and lime leaves. I always use basic herbs and spices like garlic, shallot, and ginger to cook, so I thought that adding those three ingredients would increase the flavor of the roasted chicken. Lime leaves would give nice smell too to the dish.
I also placed carrots and potatoes below the chicken, and the vegetables taste so delicious because the juice from the chicken dropped down and gave extra flavor to the vegetables. It’s an easy dish that you can try too……………….
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 8 garlic
- 4 shallots
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 thumb ginger
- 10 cilantro, chopped
- 10 lime leaves
- 2 carrots, cut in round shape for about 1 cm
- 2 potatoes, cut as big as the carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt to mix with the vegetables
- Place chickens in a medium bowl / plate
- In a blender or food processor, process buttermilk, garlic, shallot, salt, and ginger until smooth. Pour the mixture and chopped cilantro into the chicken and mix until the chickens are well coated
- Remove everything in the bowl to a Ziploc plastic bag (or just a plastic bag) and seal tightly
- Refrigerate and marinate for 24 hours
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- Place cut carrots and potatoes in the bottom of a non stick pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 tsp of salt and mix well
- Place 5 lime leaves on top of the vegetables
- Remove chickens from marinade and place on top of the vegetables, then add another 5 lime leaves on top of the chicken
- Cook for 1 hour in one side, then flip the chicken and cook for another 30 minutes to brown the other side (that was the time I needed to cook the chicken in my oven)
- Serve with garlic bread and fresh salad