Fried Chicken.……………….isn’t it just every child’s favorite food? Not just children, even fried chicken can be a comfort food for adults. I feel happy and satisfied after eating crispy fried chicken and always feel that it is the most delicious food in the world and that I could eat it every day (but it’s not healthy to eat fried chicken everyday, so let’s forget about that thought). Fried chicken and french fries are my best friends when I’m bored and need something good to lift up my spirit.
Fried chicken and french fries are also two of my boy’s favorite food besides pizza (although I would be much happier if he chose broccoli and spinach as his favorite food). He likes fried chicken and fries from McDonald’s the best. If you haven’t known it yet, in McDonald’s Indonesia, there is fried chicken and fries package that I never find in other countries that I’ve visited so far. The chicken is crispy and not spicy (unlike KFC). There are not chicken nuggets, they are real chicken and we can choose from chicken wings, breast, drumstick, or tights.
Compared to any other fast food restaurants, we all say that the fried chicken and fries from McDonald’s in Indonesia are still the winner. The boy always asked to go to McDonald’s whenever we came back to Jakarta for this reason. Unfortunately, the last time we came back to Jakarta, we didn’t have time to go to McDonald’s due to the limited time that we had. so I promised him that I would make fried chicken and fries for him once we went back to Singapore. Well, anyway, home cooked food even though it’s fried chicken and fries are still healthier than the ones from the fast food restaurant.
By the way, in Indonesia, when we talk about this kind of crispy fried chicken, most of the time people will say it’s the KFC Fried Chicken Style. KFC is the most popular brand name for fried chicken probably because it was the first one who established the fried chicken business in Indonesian long before McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Texas Chicken, etc. I still remember that my parents would sometimes take me and my sisters to the KFC for dinner once every few months and that was the time that we waited so much as children………………………..I even still remember where was the first KFC restaurant located near my house although it was 30 years ago.
For the fries, I always cook from raw potatoes and never buy the already cut ones that comes in packaged from the supermarket. For the chicken, it is best to buy the fresh ones from the wet market.
I marinated the chicken for few hours before dipping into the flour mixture, so the chicken itself already taste so good. The one bad thing about eating fried chicken from the fast food restaurant is that I always feel that the chicken is tasteless. My son and I only like the crispy skin, and most of the time we can’t finish the chicken flesh. But when I make this at home, I always want the chicken to taste as good as the skin, so I marinate it with salt, garlic, shallots, and coriander powder. Even my son agreed and said that the chicken also taste so delicious and yummy and it wasn’t difficult for him to finish at least 2 chickens in one go with a plate full of my homemade fries. See……………..home cooked food always tastes better no matter what……………….
- 3 chicken thighs (cut into 2), 2 chicken wings, 2 chicken breasts, or any parts from the chicken of your choice
- 5 garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp salt + 1 tsp salt
- all purpose flour : tapioca flour or corn flour = 5 : 1 (I used 15 tbsp of flour and 3 tbsp tapioca flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 to 100 ml very cold water
- oil for deep frying
- With mortar and pestle, mash garlic, shallots, coriander powder, and 2 tsp of salt until they form a paste. Marinate the chicken with this paste for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator
- In a bowl or plate, mix together all purpose flour, tapioca flour, salt, and baking powder. Take 5 tbsp of this mixture and transfer to a small bowl, and add cold water to this mixture. Test the flour and water mixture by dipping 1/3 of your finger into the mixture and take some of the batter. The batter should just slightly coat the finger. If it is coated heavily, add some water. If it is not coated at all, then add some flour
- Dust each chicken with dry flour mixture
- Then dip into the wet batter and allow any excess to drip off
- Coat the chicken thoroughly with dry flour mixture again (coat the chicken by pinching the flour mixture into the chicken body until they form big crumbs)
- Add oil to a wok(the amount of oil should be able to cover the chicken) and set to medium heat. Test the oil if it’s hot enough by doing this: take 1/2 tsp of the wet batter and put in the hot oil. If it’s make sizzling sound immediately, then it is hot enough
- Cook until both sides of the chicken are golden and crisp
- Serve hot with fries, salad, and chili sauce