Chicken soup again? Well, of course……………..who doesn’t love chicken soup? It’s good both for hot and cold weather. In hot weather, we can get sick easily (sore throat and cough), and that is when chicken soup comes to the rescue. In cold weather, the soup will warm our bodies. So, it’s delicious and healthy at the same time.
What I love about chicken soup is that I can add any vegetables that I want and everyone will eat whatever is served in the bowl. Corns, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, red beans, sweet peas, etc are some of the vegetables that I usually add. well, basically any vegetables that I can find in my refrigerator can go inside the soup pot, hahaha……………..So, when making chicken soup, you don’t have to stick on the recipe, you can always create your own version of chicken soup, and that’s the beauty of making chicken soup.
When making chicken soup, my preference is to use whole kampong chicken (ayam kampung) or free range chicken. The small or younger one will be better. For chicken soup, I also prefer to cook the whole chicken without cutting it into smaller parts. By cooking the whole chicken including the bones, we will have a very nice yellowish broth (my mom said that it also has the sweetness and savory taste altogether without even adding sugar and salt to the broth). The taste is totally different than just making the broth from chicken breast or some parts of the chicken.
This version of chicken soup is also using goji berries and dry seedless red dates which have lots of health benefits for us. They are very common in Chinese dish and medicine, so we usually name this dish as a herbal chicken soup.
I always use slow cooker when cooking kampong chicken, but you can also cook this soup on a stove, but the amount of water will be reduced when making the broth on stove, so remember to always add water little by little into the pot.
- 1 kampong chicken, clean but do not cut into small parts
- 2.3 L water
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 thumb of ginger, thinly slices
- 1 large onion (bawang bombay), minced
- 1 large red onion or 6 shallots (bawang merah), minced
- 6 garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 10 spring onion, minced
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 4 seedless red dates
- 1 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 10 kafir lime leaves
- 5 carrots, cut into bite size
- 2 potatoes, cut into bite size
- red beans
- 10 spring onion, cut into 2 cm
- Boil 2.3 L water in a slow cooker
- Heat a pan with 5 tbsp of olive oil
- Add ginger slices, minced large onion, shallots, and garlic and stir fry until aromatic
- Add diced tomatoes, minced spring onion, goji berries, and red dates. Stir fry for about 2 minutes, then transfer to the slow cooker
- Add chicken, salt, and kafir lime leaves to the slow cooker
- Cook for at least 4 hours in low heat or until chicken is tender, then turn off the heat
- Let it cool, then take out the chicken
- Shred the chicken into small pieces
- Strain the soup into a big pot so we will get a clear soup
- Add the shredded chicken into the big pot
- Add carrots, potatoes, and red beans into the pot
- Cook until the vegetables are thoroughly cook
- Add spring onion and turn off the heat
- Transfer the soup to serving bowls and serve hot with sweet soy sauce and chili sauce (optional)