“Every kid loves egg, especially scrambled egg. How come this one doesn’t?” That what was my mom used to say when her grandson was still in kindergarten. She said it would be easy to prepare breakfast if children like eggs, just turn them into scrambled egg or sunny side up egg or simple omelet………..and voila………..breakfast would be ready within minutes.
It is hard to believe that my boy didn’t like eggs when he was younger, and he didn’t like hard boiled egg either. Then everything changed when he was in Primary School, and as he said: “my taste buds change when I’m older”, he started to like things that he didn’t like before, including eggs. His favorite is scrambled egg, and our favorite scrambled egg is totally different than what is served in the restaurants. We love salty and over cooked and almost crisp scrambled egg. That is why we, unlike other people, never queue for scramble egg for breakfast when we stay at the hotels, because it’s not the way we like it.
In order not to make him boring with the same scrambled egg for breakfast, I searched for another breakfast recipe and I found scrambled tofu. So I just combine both of them and make my own version of scrambled egg and tofu, which is very easy but also healthier because tofu is a good source of protein, iron, calcium and vitamin B1.
Whenever I served this for breakfast, none of them recognized that I added tofu into the egg mixture. If I asked: “What did you have for breakfast”, and their answer would be “Egg”. Then I asked again: “That was it? Nothing else?” and they would say: “Yes, just egg, what else?”
To make the tofu resembles like egg, just keep stirring for about 15 minutes in medium heat. The tofu will look mushy at first, but just wait until it turn yellowish just like the color of egg yolk.
- 2 white firm tofu, mash with your hand or with a fork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 shallot, mince
- 1 clove of garlic, mince
- 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion
- 1/2 tsp of salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil / olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and mash tofu, and salt
- Heat up a non stick pan with 1 tbsp of oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add shallot and garlic and saute until fragrant
- Add egg and tofu mixture into the pan, stir fry and break it up with a spatula. Keep stirring for about 15 minutes until the color turn into yellowish and crisp. Taste it and add salt if necessary
- One minute before turning off the heat, toss in chopped spring onion and mix well with the tofu and egg
- Serve hot with hot steam rice or your favorite sides