One of the lil boy’s favorite food is my home made crispy and salty potato chips. I don’t make this very often because it takes lots of time and energy and cleaning process to make this. To avoid the chips from burning, I usually fry them in small batches, so I need to fry two or three times. I can’t do other things because when frying this, I need to stay close to the pan, turning frequently so they won’t get burn (not over cook or under cook). And after the frying, I have to clean the stove, the kitchen top, and the kitchen floor because the oil usually splashes here and there…………..and many other things to do…………..
Since I hadn’t made this for a long time, I decided to make these chips again, and this time, being too ambitious, I used 2 kg of fries……………phew……..what a work. But everyone loved it and I had to keep the chips away from the dining table, because if not it would be finished very soon. Lil boy loved it so much, because they were salty and still crispy even until 3 days. Here is the secret of making super crispy potato chips.
Home Made Potato Chips Recipe
- 2 kg of potatoes (I used US Russet and Berastagi potatoes), peeled, make round thin slice with potato slicer
- 1 big bowl of cold water
- Oil to fry
- Put the fries in a large bowl of cold water and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight (this is to remove all the starch from the potatoes and to make them crispier
- Drain the fries well and pat dry with paper towels
- Add salt and mix well
- Heat the oil in a large non stick pan over medium heat
- Fry the potatoes in batches, turning frequently until golden brown
- Remove with the skimmer and drain on clean paper towels
I served the chips with fried chicken in Worcester Sauce which was also a hit that night. Everything was finished quickly. I already shared the recipe once, but I will share again in here. This is absolutely a recommended dish and guarantee everyone, including children will love it.
Fried Chicken in Worcester Sauce Recipe
Making the Fried Chicken
- Cut in long thin slice 250 gr chicken fillet
- Marinate the chicken with: 5 garlic (blend), 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 tbsp tapioca/corn starch. Put in the fridge for 1 hour
- Deep fry the chicken until golden brown
- Set aside
Making the Worcester Sauce
- 1 large onion, slice
- 5 garlic, mince
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- Sauce mixture (set aside in a small bowl): 2 tbsp Worcester sauce (kecap inggris), 1 tsp sweet soy sauce, 1/2 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml water
- Melt butter in a pan in medium heat
- Add garlic, stir fry until fragrant
- Add large onion, stir fry again until fragrant
- Add sauce mixture, bring to boil
- Add the fried chicken, mix with the sauce, and cook until there’s no more water in the pan
- Serve on a plate and add tomato, cucumber, and lettuce. Serve with the potato chips
This will result in super crispy home made potato chips, and I love this because it’s free of MSG and preservatives.
Serve this with hot steam rice and you’ll have super delicious meal.
Daddy and I were busy trying to take picture of the food while the lil one was waiting for the food while watching TV. After a while, he realized that his parents were busy doing something around the dining table, and when he saw what happened, he shouted super happily: “the food…………the food is here……”. and nope he didn’t care about us taking pictures, he just sat and grabbed the food because he was very hungry after he played in the playground…………hahaha………….