One of the challenge that I face everyday is to serve delicious but healthy meals on the table. I am a vegetable lover. I like almost all vegetables. I used to eat with rice and vegetables only when I was a child, not because my parents could’t afford to buy meat, but simply because I like vegetable so much and meat was just going to destroy the crunchy and delicious taste of vegetable. It was also very easy when I had to go on a diet, because I could finish one bowl of veggie only without rice and meat. My favorite was stir fry kangkong with shrimp paste chili, chye sim with oyster sauce, stir fry green bean with egg, my mom’s long beans with turmeric, etc. My mom cooks various kinds of vegetables that we all love. The whole family is crazy for vegetables. We often choose veggie than meat or chicken.
The problem is, my husband didn’t grow up that way. His family prefers meat and almost doesn’t like any kind of vegetables. So, it is very difficult to ask him to finish his vegetables (even though the doctors have been asking him to do this many times). Thankfully (well…so far), lil boy seems to like vegetables and it is quite easy to feed him vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, squash, green bean, etc. There are some that he doesn’t like, but mostly he will eat whatever I serve on the table.
Sometimes I don’t want to waste my time cooking vegetables and meat, so I have to find a dish that includes both of them. Few times when we went out, I bought long beans cooked with stir fry beef at the food court. Lil boy always likes this dish. So, I thought I wanted to try cooking this at home. I haven’t cooked long beans for a very long time, so I bought some at the wet market.
The dish turned out very good. I cooked one big plate of beef with long beans, and all three of us finished it out. Daddy said it was very good that he went to the kitchen to add another plate of rice. When he likes it, it must be very good and worth to try.
So, here is the recipe for stir fry beef with long beans (tumis daging sapi kacang panjang):
- long bean (15)
- large onion (1/4)
- margarine (2 tsp)
- 200 gr ready to use stit fry beef (if not available, jut cut the beef in thin slices for about 2×5 cm)
- 1 tbsp chinese rice vinegar (angciu)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 thumb ginger, bruised
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- In a bowl, mix beef with chinese rice vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and corn starch. Keep in fridge for 30 minutes
- Melted 1 tsp margarine in a wok in low heat
- Stir fry the large onion until fragrant
- Stir fry long beans until cooked but still crunchy
- Set aside large onion and long beans in a bowl
- Melted 1 tsp of margarine in a wok in low heat
- Stir fry ginger until fragrant
- Stir fry garlic and shallot
- Stir fry beef until half done
- Add oyster sauce, sugar, and sesame oil, mix well
- Add water if necessary to cook the beef until tender
- Add large onion and long beans, mix well with the beef and other ingredients
- Add salt or soy sauce, to taste