I think this is the best steamed fish that I’ve ever made. I usually don’t like eating fish. I don’t like fried, steamed, grill, or any kinds of fish dish. In a year, I only eat fish very few times. The only time I eat fish almost everyday was when I was pregnant and breastfeeding, even though I didn’t like it at all.
On the other side, lil boy is a big fan of fish dish, especially fried ones. But I know it’s not healthy to feed him fried fish so often. My mom and I sometimes made him steamed fish, but he never really liked the taste, and me too. I think it was because of the stronger fishy taste when you steamed the fish, even though we bought live fish from the wet market.
Not everyone can cook steamed fish well, even big and expensive restaurants like D*ck K*ng. Their steamed fish was very bad that none of us could eat it (but very expensive). The one that we quite like is red tilapia steamed fish from Sinar Medan.
I tried to find the right recipe to steam the fish, and I found some recipes which I modified and tried at home. The taste was superb, much better than the one we bought at the restaurant. And the best thing was: lil boy loved my first steamed fish so much that he ate it with a plate full of warm rice. I still cook steam fish after that, and he still loves it. Daddy also likes this dish, and I actually like this one too. I can even eat the rice with the sauce only, because the sauce is so good…….
The first thing to remember is to always steam fresh fish. Sometimes, if I store the fish too long in my freezer……I choose to fry than steaming the fish.
- 1/2 white pomfret fish (can be replaced with any fish you like), clean properly, scrub with 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice, put in the fridge for 3o minutes
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and cut into stripes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 stalk scallion, cut into 2 cm length
- Some cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp of angciu / chinese rice vinegar
Method of Cooking Fish:
- Prepare the steamer plate. Spread half ginger, garlic, scallion, cilantor leaves, and angciu on top of the plate
- Lay the fish on top of the ingredients, and spread the other half of ingredients on top of the fish
- Heat up a steamer with enough water for steaming and wait for the water to boil. As soon as it boils, place the plate inside and cook for 15 to 20 minutes
- Transfer it out from the wok. Discard the fish water and other ingredients
Fish Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp superior light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid rock sugar ( don’t use white sugar because it will give a different taste)
- 50 ml water
Method of Preparing Fish Sauce:
- Blend soy sauce, fish sauce, rock sugar, and water in a bowl
- Heat up a pan over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil together with the garlic. Pour the hot oil and garlic over the steamed fish
- Put the pan back onto the stove, add the soy sauce mixture and bring to boil. Pour the soy sauce over the fish. Topped with young ginger, scallions and cilantro leaves
- Serve hot with white rice
To cook the whole fish, just double the recipe.